Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Steroids? I Don't Take No Stinking Steriods!

I spent my afternoon this past Saturday here...

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic


One of the most beautiful places on the planet.

The Smithsonian American Art Museum (which contains the Smithsonian Portrait Gallery), is one of my favorite places to be, and it is only a short ride on the Metro from my house. I had so much fun wandering around the museum, simultaneously taking pictures with my big girl camera and my iPhoney. I quickly learned, thanks to a very kind and understanding security guard, that only permanent exhibits at the Smithsonian American Art Museum can be photographed. Oops! I said "oh, thank you", quietly tucked my big girl camera under my arm and moved along.

This is one of the first things you see presently when you enter the busiest wing of the museum...



I found it ironic, and actually chuckled at the "New Arrival" designation over the piece of art.

I continued on, moseying along just looking at all of the lovely portraits, photographs, and random artwork that is splattered along the way...

This one was pretty neat. It's a series of license plates that spell out a very important message...It took me far too long to figure out what it was as I stood there. Don't tell anyone.



This is one of my favorites, and I managed to get this picture right before I got busted. I was so afraid that I was going to get kicked out that I forgot to find out who the artist was. Darn.



I just love her face, and her cute little smirk. These are my favorite types of portraits. People, dressed in Victorian clothing, sitting there, because they had nothing better to do than spend 1/2 of their life being painted. It all seems very pompous and bougie to me. But I love it just the same.

I was enjoying my jaunt around the 1st floor, which is filled with paintings of this sort. I felt like I was wandering through a lost world. A beautiful, gold-filled Victorian era with shiny satin dresses, high lace collars, and jewelry featuring photographs of loved ones and pets. I was in heaven.

So. Imagine my surprise, when I crossed the main lobby and stumbled into this androgynous abyss.



Wow. And Wow.



Try to tell me that these chicks aren't on steroids. They look NOTHING like the Victorian beauty above.
blog comments powered by Disqus