Monday, March 9, 2009

The Green Smoothie Movement

Yes, the pun was intended.



So, I did it. I broke down and replaced the forsaken Magic Bullet Lost in the Divorce. I really tried to come up with another viable solution because The Magic Bullet just conjures up images of many, many protein shakes that replaced actual meals that I should have eaten.

It's all quasi-symbolic. I left my Magic Bullet behind with my ex husband and my eating disorder. And I don't even know what to call that dysfunctional smoothie.

Alas, there was no better solution. I put aside my irrational fear of The Magic Bullet and officially 'moved on' in the appliance aisle at Walmart. It was all very cathartic. There was just no denying that The Magic Bullet is a machine of everlasting joy and beauty.

Especially when you live in a 675 square foot condo, with less than 1 square foot of counter space.

Photobucket


After I purchased the MB, I promptly went to the grocery store to pick up the necessary ingredients for my Green Smoothies. Luckily, my local Giant was having a serious sale on all things produce, so I took advantage of that fact fully.

Photobucket


I picked up a bag of spinach (I'm going to get another bag tonight because they were only $1.99/bag, but my store only had 1), a bag of kale, 4 cucumbers (there is only one naked cuke in the pic), 4 pears, 10 apples (not pictured), 2 bunches of bananas (one ripe and one not so much), 4 oranges, and a box of milled flax seed. I sort of developed this hybrid list of ingredients by combining things that I learned from Krista's Kravings, Oh She Glows, Green Smoothie Challenge, and Strawberry Shortstuff.

This is what I threw in TMB for its' inaugural whirl.

Photobucket


I also threw in a tablespoon of milled flax seed, and since I'm a green smoothie wussy, a tablespoon of honey.

The result was green. Really, really green.

Photobucket


And did I mention that it was green?

Photobucket


The verdict: I'm going to officially sign up for The Green Smoothie Challenge, because my smoothie was strangely likeable. I did find the occasional kale vein that needed to be chewed, and my stomach has done a little extra churning for the past couple of days, but this is a small price to pay for health. My stomach will adjust, and kale veins are good for me.

I know that I don't get enough fruit and veggies in my diet. So do the rest of you who read this post. This is something that I've needed to address for a while, and now I have a good reason to make a new, positive change.
blog comments powered by Disqus