Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Effort-Based Treadmill Training Speed

I don't know how many of you use Twitter, but if you don't you should. It's pretty cool. It's a great way to stay in touch with the rest of the universe, to connect with new people from around the globe, and to get nifty Effort-Based Treadmill Training Speed Charts (thanks, @kellyring)!

My Sista had mentioned to me over Christmas vacation that I needed to be mindful of the fact that the treadmill doesn't account for wind resistance. I basically blew her off. I do that a lot. However, now that I see some actual proof of this, and this chart is speaking my language (I speak "spreadsheet", the language of love), the concept of wind resistance is making sense to me.

What also makes sense to me is that if I try to run on the treadmill at only 5.6 with only a measly 1% grade, that's like running at a 10:32 pace. Now, I'm slow people, but I am likely to be able to handle 5.6 at a 1% grade for at least a few minutes anyway. So, I'm going to make this part of my training plan at least one workout per week.

______In other news_____

I wouldn't feel right about myself as a human being if I didn't mention the fact that I think it's totally awesome that DJ Steve Boyett personally commented on yesterday's musings about the PODRUNNER: Intervals Freeway to 10K Podcast. Even if it was so that he could tell me that I'm a complete dumb ass for not following instructions properly. What can I say...I'm willing to suck it up and admit that I'm an idiot from time to time.

Straight from the horses mouth (not that I'm calling you a horse, DJ Steve), the mixes are:

"house and progressive house (very little techno, by the way)!"

See, this proves that I am a newbie when it comes to running with anything other than The Rolling Stones, The Violent Femmes, The Prodigy, and the occasional trendy-bootie-shaker that somehow ended up on my Nano. I am a music moron. I admit it. In my non-running life, I listen to Regina Spektor and Imogen Heap and Fiona Apple, Etta James, Aretha Franklin...are you noticing a pattern? I like angsty female singers. Generally speaking, these songs don't include electronic drums. Forgive my ignorance.

I am actually glad that DJ Steve mentioned this to me, because it led me to start googling the difference between "techno" and "house" music, which led me to start listening to various clips, and much to my surprise, it really did all sound different. It also turned me on to some new music, which is extra cool in my universe.

Another thing that DJ Steve mentioned was this:

"(1) We urge people to listen to the very first P:I episode, "Intro to Intervals," that provides instructions on how to use the program and what to listen for. It's not exactly counterintuitive: the ascending tone signals acceleration, the descending tone signals deceleration;"

First of all: DUHHHHHHHHH!!!! I honestly, truly did not even notice the fact that there was an ascending AND a descending tone. Maybe there was too much sweat in my ears and I couldn't hear properly. Maybe I was breathing too hard and it distorted the sound of the tones. Maybe I was just enjoying the music so much that I got wrapped up and didn't even really hear the tones? Whatever the case may be, I am once again a moron, and when I do the workout next time, I will completely pay attention to the fact that there are two very different and distinct tones to imply whether I should be running slow or slower.

Lastly, he mentioned this:

"(2) We don't provide spoken instructions because we have a global audience, and feel it isn't write to play favorites in any particular language. Music seems to be universal enough that we decided to let it do our talking for us."

And, I am once again feeling like the village idiot. How completely ethnocentric and pompous of me to assume that the world revolves around the English language. Music is universal, and if the idiot who is listening to the tones would realize that they are ascending and descending, then this whole bit about telling said idiot to go faster or slower in English as well is a moot point. So, lets completely scratch that from all records.

I have a degree in Accounting. I swear I do. I am studying to be a CPA. Many people rely on me to give them concise, true, reliable information regarding very important things. I have many leather-bound books (that was a lie). WHY, you ask, is it so difficult for me to learn how to run intervals with the Podrunner Freeway to 10K Podcast? Because I'm impatient, that's why. Again, this patience problem rears its' ugly head.

I'm still working on that.

If I had been patient and taken the time to learn how the program works, none of this would have ever occurred. Although. I rather like the fact that all of this occurred.

Hmmm...

Nevertheless, I wanted to personally thank DJ Steve Boyett for taking the time to explain to the village idiot how the Podrunner Freeway to 10K plan works. You will have no further problems from me, DJ Steve Boyett.

Oh, and from this day forward, I'm going to be calling this plan the P:I. Because DJ Steve does. Because I think its cool. Because I can now, since he commented my blog and all. Right DJ Steve?



p.s...My SkirtSports Giveaway is still open for anybody who is interested in telling me a funny running story! I plan to close comments tonight, so you better get on it!

4 comments:

  1. oh my god... your hilarious, whether or not you intended to be or not, you just are.

    dont feel stupid, you aren't the only person who wouldn't/didn't notice that...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think treadmill running is way harder. I run faster outside at a lower HR and much easier...maybe it's just mental!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right. :P

    Actually I apologize if my tone sounded chiding; I certainly didn't intend for it to be. I blame caffeine deprivation.

    Thanks for posting, and let us know how the series works for you!

    --steve boyett

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me...